Take your pick…
Almost a new year! I hope you all have great plans for the gorgeous and anticipated 2018. I for one haven’t stopped thinking about my top 5 decor ideas. I love trying out new stuff and trends and these definitely picked my thoughts for a minute. While I dive right into it, feel free to comment your favorite styles, picks and ideas as well.
- Plant Decor
To say I have been obsessed with this trend would be an understatement. This brings so much life to your space, add an above chic vibe that definitely will brighten up any corner trying to be a decor nightmare, especially when it’s too small and too big at the same time.
A white and green always looks stunning but do not limit your options. You can always try out different styles, creating great opportunities for DIYs especially with succulent plants that don’t need much care and still look perfect.
Gold and copper have been staples in the home decor trend realms this year and they do not seem to be dying out any time soon. These definitely bring a level of class to your decor without much effort. Pop in a couple of greens and let the compliments stream in during those stressful house parties.
I have been such a huge succulent plant enthusiast. This is ever since it came to my attention that I do not need to water these precious babies. Who wouldn’t want an independent plant decor just doing it’s own thing? I know i’d sign up for just dusting it up one or two times every now and then.
Get yourself some pretty pots and you are set with whichever decor style you might be going for.
I came across this amazing page on Instagram called Shop Nanjala and I literally fell in love. If you are looking for beauty in a plant pot be sure to check out their page.
I love getting these awesome shops close to home with exactly what I’d want and what a lot of veebydesign readers could be looking for.
2. Cozy Reading/Working Nooks
I have always been one to grab a book and get lost in it, especially my Harry Potter books (I could literally read these anywhere, any time)
It’s always great, if possible, to set aside a comfy area to either turn a few novel pages or just finish off some work from the office. Far away from destruction and also to be able to organize your files, papers or even business documents.
Here are a few tips to get a cozy nook:
- Have some relaxing framed pictures, family portraits in black and white or a couple of printed pictures from the internet. This avoids a plain wall.
- Good lighting, this is actually my next top pick. Considering this is a reading/ working station, proper lighting goes without saying.
- Add some flavor by maintaining some sort of theme, you can have an all white or all pastel stations, whatever will tickle your fancy!
- A cozy rug, that’s just it! Get a cozy rug don’t rub your feet on unbearably cold tiles, you won’t get anything done if you are anything like me.
3. The Good, the Great and the Proper Lighting
This has been a good year for lighting in terms of trends. If you have been an avid interior decor follower I am sure you have seen this everywhere. From the minimalists to the extremists of interior design. Lighting really did stop just serving one plain purpose. It is now a household name when it comes to picking major points of interior design.
Beautiful lighting should not be limited to the living room and bedroom only. Spread your horizon and work on your bathroom lighting.
Something this small could change everything decor. The cooper color gives off a very vibrant and five star hotel impression to not only you but also your nosy guests.
I have been seeing this precious designs at Mr. Price Home Decor on Yaya Centre and you can also hit up the numerous home improvement shops along Biashara Street and try your luck. I will make some time and check out where exactly to get them. Contact me via comments or DM me on my Instagram or Twitter page Veebydesign and we can talk more on how to get yourself sauced up on some home lighting.
4. Coffee Table Decor
From plain tables, to the glow ups. I would stare at videos for hours and hours learning how to get the perfect coffee table decor with trays, books, long beads, flowers not forgetting those gorgeous scented candles.
Hope these beautiful images gives you some inspiration for next decor project. This will change your whole living room. It’s the little changes that make the room seem spectacular.
- The books do not have to be fashion inspired (though you can get theses at home.decor254 at ksh.500) but any hard cover of your choice should do great. You can get these at ksh. 100- 150 along the streets in town especially around the Bus Station area.
- Get some fresh flowers, one or two should do. This will be easy to change once they die out as compared to getting a whole bouquet.
- Scented candles are everywhere, I used to love the ones in the Nakumatt Gift section, they had all the shapes, scents and sizes. Luckily Mr. Price can come through. I have yet to see the good kind at Tuskys but I haven’t been looking for them at that spot really. Home.decor254 also has beautiful unique scented candles for ksh. 750.
- It’s not a must to get a tray for this masterpiece but I will say it does help to have one. T-Mall is currently holding some cute ones price depending on size. I do remember the tiny one was going for about Ksh. 250. For the more trendy designs, you can get a geometrical shape with a glass bottom to add a bit more style. These trays usually come in gold or silver so you can of course go with preference and general house decor.
5. Bold Paint Colors
Life is too short to have boring colors, go bold and try out this daring trend.
This is a new way to spice up your living room in a big way. Painted walls are a huge commitment but if you get the shade that matches your personality and style you should settle in just fine.
Bold colors are set to be an even bigger trend in 2018 so call up your painter or pick up your overalls and get ready to score with your favorite shades.
Tips to rock a bold wall paint:
- Match it with the seats
- Pick a color you can live with (sometimes people pick a color and end up wishing they didn’t)
- Compliment the color with decor accessories; paintings and easy to fit chandeliers
So those are my top 5 decor trend picks! Don’t forget to let me know in the comments which one’s you love, I’d also like to know your worst decor trend picks that you would show the door. I’d say my top worst decor trend pick is the continuously high prices on anything home decor in Kenya. Literally looking forward to IKEA making it’s way here and hoping it gets here cheaper.
Hope you all enjoyed the read, thank you so much for stopping by and I hope to share some more tips and tricks with you soon.